Interested in EM?
Using the NYSBC
Principles & Protocols
Seminars & Courses
Publications associated with CEM at NYSBC
Protein Production Facility
Electron Crystallography Center
Cryo-EM Site map
Cryoelectron Microscopy of Macromolecular Assemblies
Graduate Course offered for the 6th year at NYSBC - Fall 2010
Cryo electron microscopy in combination with image analysis is increasingly powerful in producing 3D structures of individual molecules and large macromolecular complexes that are unapproachable by other methods.
This comprehensive course will cover the theory and practice of solving molecular structures by electron microscopy. We will start with optics, sample preparation and a basic mathematical description of diffraction before moving into a detailed exploration of the three main methods of structure determination: tomography, single particle analysis, and 2D crystallography. We will end with a discussion of map interpretation and molecular fitting.
This course will have two components
Both components will be held on the premises of the New York Structural Biology Center.
Students and postdocs from all NYC institutions are encouraged to attend
- A series of lectures from local experts followed by student-led discussion sessions.
- A series of practical sessions that parallel the topics introduced during the lectures.
Attendance to the practical sessions will be limited and preference will be given to students enrolled for credit
Textbooks relevant for the course are
Course Director: David Stokes 212-263-1580 email@example.com
Course will involve a lecture on Tuesdays and a Discussion Session on Thursdays starting at 4 pm.
Practical sessions offering hands on experience with the most important image processing programs will be offered every morning during the week of Nov. 3-7.
Although we don't expect to have any limit to the number of students attending the lectures and discussions, participation in the practical sessions will be limited with preference afforded to students registered for credit.
The New York Structural Biology Center is located on the south campus of City College
- "Three Dimensional Electron Microscopy of Macromolecular Assemblies" by Joachim Frank
- "Electron Crystallography of Biological Macromolecules" by Glaeser, Downing, DeRosier, Chiu
89 Convent Ave at 133rd St in Manhattan
A,C,B,D trains to 125th St or 1 train to 137th St
Please notify the course director (David Stokes) of your intention of taking the course.
For graduate students wishing to take the course for credit:
This course will be listed in the catalogue of the New York University School of Medicine (http://sackler.med.nyu.edu/graduate/course-information).
listed as G16.4408 - Cryoelectron Microscopy of of Macromolecular Assemblies.
Call # 31569
3 credits for the lecture/discussion
1 credit for the practical sessions
- NYU students should enroll through the Sackler Inst.
- Mt. Sinai students should enroll through NYU GSAS using the above course information.
- Albert Einstein College of Med students should contact Hernando Sosa or Todd Evans.
- Rockefeller University students should contact Seth Darst or Sid Strickland.
- Students from Weill Medical College of Cornell Univ and Memorial Sloan Kettering should contact Denise Jenkins or Chris Lima
- Students from Wadsworth or SUNY Albany should contact Carmen Mannella.
- Students from Columbia or CUNY can enroll through the Inter-University Doctoral Consortium
- Other students should contact the Dean of Graduate Studies or your institutional representative on the NYSBC CryoEM Operations Committee to learn about procedures for taking this course for credit.
Intro to EM Optics, image formation and Diffraction - Sept 14 - David Stokes (NYU/NYSBC)
Fourier transforms, CTF, cross-correlation - Sept 21 - Bill Rice (NYSBC)
Electron Tomography I - Sept 28 - Carmen Mannella (Wadsworth Ctr)
Single Particle Analysis I - Oct 5 - Joachim Frank (Columbia University)
Single Particle Analysis II - Oct 12 - Joachim Frank (Columbia University)
Single Particle Analysis III - Oct 19 - Joachim Frank (Columbia University)
Electron Tomography II - Oct 26 - Carmen Mannella (Wadsworth Ctr)
Practicals Exercises (single particle and tomography) - Nov 1-5
Electron Crystallography I - Nov 9 - Iban Ubarretxena (Mt. Sinai)
Electron Crystallography II - Nov 16 - Iban Ubarretxena (Mt. Sinai)
Helical reconstruction - Nov 23 - Hernando Sosa (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
Practicals Exercises (crystallography) - Nov 29-Dec 1
Molecular fitting - Dec 7 - Hernando Sosa (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
Visit the CryoEM website at http://cryoem.nysbc.org
-- DavidStokes - 07 Jul 2010